Built in 1905, the Orpheum Theatre is crowned by a 12-foot tall statue of Venus, the symbol of the Orpheum vaudeville circuit. National vaudeville acts, ranging from comedy skits to scientific boxing bouts, performed on the theater’s elegant stage. With the rising popularity of motion pictures, the Orpheum Theatre closed its doors as a vaudeville stage in 1918. It was reborn shortly thereafter as a movie theater and operated under a variety of names. During the late 1920s and 1930s, the building was regarded as the most stylish movie house in town. In 1972, the LDS Church purchased the building, renamed it Promised Valley Playhouse, and restored it for stage performances.
Architect: Carl M. Neuhausen