This building was constructed circa 1893. The owners during this time period included Patrick H. Gallagher and William C. Warren, a loan officer and former real estate agent. The building replaced an earlier adobe and frame structure that was built on the lot before 1884. In 1894 Warren sold the lot to the Ogden Savings Bank. The bank owned it until 1933, when they sold it to the Real Estate Management Company. Other owners included Benjamin Knudsen (1946-1950) and Josephine Branz (1961-1978). As part of the Historic District, the building was placed on the National Register in 1976 and on the local register in 1981.
The earliest businesses known to have occupied the building include:
- Harry Jordan, Cigars and Tobacco (1895)
- Thomas Riche, Saloon (1900-1904)
- The Owl Saloon (1905-1912)
- William Kent, Barber (1900-1909)
Other occupants include:
- Royal Shoe Repair Company (1916)
- New Economy Store (men’s clothing) (1925-1945)
- George’s Cafe (1946-1959)
- Uke’s Cafe (1970-1980)
- Zona Roja’s / EV’R Greens (1994- )
- La Ferrovia Italian Restaurant
The building was extensively renovated in 1994 to accommodate Zona Roja’s and EV’R Greens.
This structure is a vernacular one-part commercial block structure with some elements of Victorian eclectic style. The structure is constructed of regular fired brick and rests on a sandstone block foundation. A variety of corbeling patterns are evident throughout the entire length of the cornice. Vertical corbeling extends from the parapet to the ground on the outer and center brickwork of the front facade defining the bays.