This building was constructed circa. 1888 by James O. Stephens and was one of several buildings constructed during this time period by members of the Stephens family on the north side of the 200 block of 25th Street. (e.g., 260, 274, and 278.) The building was build for investment purposes as retail rental space. The Stephens family owned it until 1894, when they sold it to the Eccles Lumber Comapny. The building was owned by the infamous 25th Street “madam,” Dora Belle Topham, from 1906 to 1912. Other owners included:
- Utah Mercantile
- Land and Lovestock Investment Company (1912-1915)
- James Ballard (1916-1922)
- Malan-Wheelwright Investment Company (1922-1946)
The earliest known businesses to have occupied the building were:
- The Palace Billiard Hall
- Walker & Solomon, Cigars
- G.W. Jones, Railroad Ticket Broker and Real Estate
The first long-term business was Edwin Williams’ Grocery (1895-1902). The building housed a billiard hall from 1911 until 1927, changing owners almost every year; the majority of owners were members of the Japanese community which existed in the city. Businesses known to have occupied the building after 1935 include:
- LaSalle Tavern
- Calico Cat Bar
- Swan Club Tavern
- Great Harvest Bread Co.
The building was renovated in 1989 to accommodate the present owner-occupant, Great Harvest Bread Company.
The brick structure is a two-story, two part commercial block building with decorative brick work on the cornice and above the second story windows. The storefront reflects the typical characteristics along Historic 25th Street, e.g., the square bay transom windows, a fancy metal cornice, and a recessed central entryway door flanked by large display windows on either side.