The Niels H. Borresen House, one of the oldest stone houses in Spring City, was constructed about 1864. The stone walls of this hall-parlor house are two feet thick. Born in Denmark, Niels converted to the LDS Church in his native country in 1853, and he and his first wife Johanna left for Utah later that year. They settled in Spanish Fork and later became early settlers of Mount Pleasant. Borresen was a miller and horticulturist by trade. He served in the Mormon Militia and was a veteran of the Blackhawk War. A polygamist with three wives, he served two terms for cohabitation in the Utah Territorial Penitentiary.
Located at 197 South Main Street in Spring City, Utah
This house, one of the oldest stone houses in Spring City, was constructed of two-foot thick random rubble stone. Niels H. Borresen (1826-1916), a miller and horticulturalist, was born in Denmark in 1826. He converted to the LDS church in Denmark and came to Utah in the late 1850s. He moved to Spring City in 1860 and had three wives. He was a veteran of the Black Hawk War and was imprisoned twice at the Territorial Prison in Sugarhouse for practicing polygamy. In 1994 a wood frame wing was added and the original house restored by Peter and Inge-Lise Goss.*
This home has stone walls that are 2 feet thick. Constructed in 1864, this stone house is one of the oldest in Spring City. Until a few years ago, this was an undistinguished, forgotten stucco-covered house languishing behind the big trees in the yard. Architectural historian Peter Goss purchased the house, had the stucco removed and the underlying stone restored. The limestone walls are of various sizes of roughly shaped stone laid in irregular courses, a more rustic technique than that used in later stone buildings. A vernacular house, its trim is also simple and sparse. The front façade has three windows and two doors on the main level, a door and two windows on the second. All of these bays have been restored and painted period colors. The interior was also renovated and a compatible frame addition was made to the east side.
Borresen was born in Norway and was an early settler of the town site. While serving as a Mormon missionary, he taught John A. Widtsoe who later became a church leader. Borresen passed the home to one of his daughters who lived in it after he died.
Niels was a veteran of the Black Hawk War and was imprisoned twice for practicing polygamy. The house was restored in 1994.*