, , , ,

First Post Office

In August 1905 the Uintah Indian Reservation was opened to white settlers who came and built homes. They organized Whiterocks Irrigation Company, built a canal and raised crops. In 1908 a post office and store was built at Taft, one mile south of here by Maylus E. Sprouse who was the first postmaster. Roy Warburton carried the mail from Vernal on horseback, making three trips each week and Warren Ross carried mail to and from Fort Duchesne. In 1915 the settlement of Taft was moved and renamed Lapoint.

This historic marker is #300 by the D.U.P., located at the Lapoint Store at 109800 East 7000 North (Highway 121) in Lapoint, Utah.


The back side of the monument has this plaque:

First Things of Lapoint

The Reservation was thrown open for homesteading in August 1905

First Settlers

James Harrison built a log cabin on the bank of Deep Creek and moved his family there on the 13th of Mar 1906. Harmon Mullins and William Sprouse also built one room log and lumber cabins on their homesteads and moved their families in on the 18th of April 1906. Grandma Daniels (six miles away) was their closest and only neighbor Archie Lee Searle (Headstone below) was the first grave to be placed in the Lapoint Cemetery

Completed Sept 10th 1965
Dedicated Nov 7th 1965
Built and dedicated by J. M. Rasmussen

Father Archie Lee Searle
1880 — 1918