, , , ,

Fort Cameron – Murdock Academy

In 1872-73 a two and two-thirds mile square, protective military reservation was established following the request of C.M. Hawley, Associate Justice, Utah Territory. Built of native rock and lumber, it received 250 troops Sept. 7, 1873, Major John B. Wilkins, Commander. Fort abandoned May 1883. L.D.S. Church purchased one-half. J.R. Murdock, P.T. Farnsworth gave the other half as a site for the B.Y.U. Beaver Branch. Murdock Academy opened Sept. 26, 1898. Closed 1922.

This is D.U.P. Marker #327 (See others in the series on this page) located at the Canyon Breeze Golf Course at 371 UT-153 in Beaver, Utah