August 20, 1886, two companies of colored infantry commanded by Major F. W. Benteen and four companies of infantry under Captain Duncan arrived at this site to control the activities of the Indians. There were three bands of Utes – Uncompahgres, Whiterivers and Uintahs. The troops hauled logs from nearby canyons, built living quarters, commissary, storehouses and hospital, thereby establishing Fort Duchesne. Abandoned in 1912, now headquarters for the Uintah Reservation.
Daughters of Utah Pioneers historic marker #315 (see others on this page) located in Fort Duchesne, Utah.