Hilda Anderson Erickson
Hilda Anderson Erickson, born in Ledsjö, Sweden October 11, 1859 was the last surviving immigrant pioneer. In 1866 at the age of 6 she crossed the plains with her family in the Abner Lowry Company. She married John A. Erickson in the Endowment House in 1882. Soon after the couple was called to serve an LDS mission among the Goshute Indians in Ibapah, Utah. Later the couple homesteaded the “Last Chance Ranch” with their son Perry and daughter, Amy.
A talented seamstress, tailor, and licensed obstetric, Hilda was known as the “Doctor” to many expectant mothers. After the ranch was sold Hilda opened a store in Grantsville which she operated for 21 years. She drove her own car until she was 94 and at 99 flew to Nauvoo, Ill. to be honored by the Centennial Commission of Utah. Her return flight was the first passenger jet airplane to land at the Salt Lake Airport. She passed away in Jan. 1968 at the age of 108.
Kate B. Carter in Our Pioneer Heritage said of Hilda, “Probably no woman in our state has lived a more energetic life.”
This monument to a grand lady was erected by the Sons of Utah Pioneers to honor all Utah pioneers.
Sculptor Peter M. Fillerup
Note: President James E. Faust dedicated this statue that stands in front of the Grantsville City Hall, on June 7, 1997. Hilda Anderson Erickson was the last survivor of 80,000 pioneers who crossed the plains prior to 1869 by handcart or wagon.
This is Sons of Utah Pioneers marker #69, located at 429 East Main Street in Grantsville, Utah