This monument marks the site of the second Fort Thornburgh – established in April 1882 after its removal from the first location near the site of Ouray, Utah. The fort was founded by the United States Army as an outpost for Military troops assigned to prevent Indian – White hostilities. It was named in honor of Major Thomas T. Thornburgh who was killed by Ute Indians on September 29, 1879 in Western Colorado while attempting to quell an alleged uprising. The military reserve encompassed 21,851 acres to the west, north and east of this point. An infantry garrison of 100 to 200 men occupied the fort from April 10, 1882 until October 3, 1883. Several adobe and stone buildings, no longer evident, were constructed on the fort 300 yards east of this point.
Located at 2450 North 3250 West in Vernal, Utah
Boy scouts of America troop 246, Eagle Scout Project 2019, Aaden Frederic Clyde