Ashton – Marysville Area Pioneers
Tall sagebrush and grass, wild animals, the beautiful Tetons and surrounding mountains greeted the first pioneers of this area. Joe and Mary Weaver Baker and their eight children drove their wagon and cattle from Nebraska and arrived in May of 1889. The nearest settler was the family of Samuel Sadorus, nine miles west, who came in 1885 and called his settlement Sarilda. The Bakers settled at a spring one mile northwest of this site and called it Springville. It was later called Marysville after Mary Baker, the first postmistress, assigned on October 6, 1891. More settlers came soon after.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints built a log church, in 1893, in Marysville.
By 1906 Marysville was a thriving village with many stores. In this same year, the Oregon Shortline Railroad was established which contributed to the development of Ashton. It was named after Bill Ashton, the Project Engineer.
Pioneer communities known as Lodi, Lillian, Vernon, Ora, Farnum, Warm River, Squirrel, Lamont, Greentimber and Drummond, although merged with Ashton, are still remembered by their pioneer names.
The above text is from Daughters of Utah Pioneers marker #437 erected in 1987 at 1313 North 3600 East in Ashton, Idaho.
These photos provided by Marshall Hurst: