First Irrigation Project
Arriving at the headwaters of Lemhi River, a company of Latter-Day Saint men who had been called to establish a mission among the Indians proceeded approximately 30 miles downstream, selected a site for a fort and a tract of farming land, On June 18, 1855, they dug a ditch, turned the water over the land, and after ploughing about 8 acres, planted corn, turnips, peas, beams and potatoes. This was the first irrigation project in the Great Northwest.
Daughters of Utah Pioneers historic marker #285, erected in 1963 and located on Lemhi Road north of Lemhi, Idaho. Marker #284 is also located here.
These photos provided by Marshall Hurst and Jean Bradley: