In 1867 Joseph Chadwick and family settled on Five Mile Creek and built a log cabin. In one room he had a supply store to accommodate the few settlers and freighters. He was followed by Peter Poole, Robert Taylor, Stephen Callan, George Mendenhall, Richard Wickham and their families. The locality was originally known as Five Mile, later Chadville, and in 1890 Card. In 1906 Wm.B. Preston gave it the name of Dayton. Fred Jensen was the first L.D.S. presiding Elder.
The text above is from the Daughters of Utah Pioneers historic marker #171, erected in December of 1951 and located in Dayton, Idaho.
These photos were summited by Marshall Hurst: