Diamond or Diamond City is a ghost town in Juab County, Utah that was first settled in 1870 and was named Diamond because people thought diamonds were found in the area. The Post Office was open until 1906 even though the last of the 900 residents moved away in 1890 and all that remains now are mine tailings and a cemetery.
Daughters of Utah Pioneers Marker #512 (other markers listed here)
The discovery of the Sunbeam Lode and the subsequent organization of the Tintic Mining District on Decomber 13, 1869, was the beginning of a mining district which ultimately became world-famous. The name is in honor of the Ute Indian Chief Tintic who roamed this area with his braves. This district survives as the best physical reminder of Utah’s mining heritage. Towns include Eureka, Silver City, Diamond, Knightsville, and Homansville. Gold, silver, lead, and copper were the primary minerals of the region.
There were four railroad companies serving the mining district: Salt Lake and Western Railway, the Tintic Range Railway, the New East Tintic Railway, and the narrow gauge Eureka Hill Railway.
Eureka came to be known as one of the quietest boom camps in the west. There were stores, theaters, hotels, schools, newspapers, churches, an Andrew Carnegie library, and one of the first Golden Rule ( J.C. Penney ) stores.
There was a diverse ethnic mix in the district. The camps consisted of people representing many nationalities and religions, the famous and notorious, miners, prospectors, business proprietors, doctors, teachers, cowboys, railroad men, and beloved women. These women rocked the cradle, nursed the sick, and waited at the mouth of the mines to know who was being brought up from the bowels of the earth below. The women dressed the dead and knelt in prayer. To all who believed tomorrow would bring a better life, we pay honor. Today we stand together and remember the great heroes of yesterday who settled this district with a dream of a better tomorrow.
Visit my list of places in Utah.