Daughter’s of Utah Pioneers Historic Marker # 147
(Other markers listed at JacobBarlow.com/dup)
Near this site, February 6, 1856, in zero weather, Beaver pioneers made their first camp. Prior to this, the land had been rejected as unfit for cultivation, but the amount of water available gave courage. At a mass meeting in Parowan some of the more venturesome families were selected. Led by Captain Simeon F. Howd, Wilson G. Nowers, James P. Anderson, John Henderson, Ross G. Rogers, J.M. Davis, Lorin W. Babbit, William Wanlass and James Low they faced the seemingly impossible and redeemed the valley.