Founded in 1933 by members of the Sharon LDS Stake, SCERA (Sharon’s Cultural, Educational, Recreational Association) started its tradition of family centered activities with movies at Lincoln High School. Families were admitted for one dollar per month.
Ground was broken for the SCERA Showhouse on March 23, 1940, with land donated by the LDS Church. Financing, in the aftermath of the Great Depression, was a miracle of massive community sacrifice. September 1, 1941, the showhouse opened with John Wayne’s “Shepherd of the hills.”
More than just movies, SCERA actively contributes to Orem’s reputation as “Family City USA” through a rich variety of arts programs. A staff of young volunteers, involved in a signature job training program, continue to uphold the cooperative spirit of SCERA’s humble beginnings.
Located at 745 South State Street in Orem, Utah