After Albert Petty surveyed this site in 1859, pioneers came, built homes, erected a meetinghouse of logs cut by William Gibson and Asbury Parks. In 1861, Bishop Robert L. Johnson opened first store and hotel. Polly Johnson was first Relief Society President; Catherine Oldroyd served as midwife. Bernard Snow supplied flour from his burr mill in 1867. John Green operated adobe and brickyard. Black Hawk War forced settlers to move for safety. They returned and built fort in fall of 1866. Plaque below: The bell atop this monument rang its message from the tower of the first schoolhouse, 1880. As each new schoolhouse was built, the bell was transferred; tolling time, fire and curfew for 88 years.