Early in 1876 Andrew Jackson Allred was called by Brigham Young to lead a group of settlers into Rabbit Valley, including ten members of the Allred family, W.W. Morrell and son Silas, William and Henry Maxfield. They built their homes east of Fremont River but due to floods, moved westward to a point of the hill. Here were established log cabins, trading post, store and post office. One half mile further south the first burr grist mill was erected. Mr. Allred served as first postmaster and Indian interpreter. Only the grave of little Silas W. Morrell remains in Fremont’s first cemetery.
Daughters of Utah Pioneers historic marker #271, located outside of Fremont, Utah