In March 1851 Charles C. Rich and Amasa N. Lyman, Apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Left Utah with 437 people to establish a stronghold for the gathering of saints in California. Jefferson Hunt, David Seeley and Andrew Lytle were captains of organized companies. They purchased the Rancho ‘De San Bernardino, selected a site for settlement, built a fort enclosing 100 homes and erected an adobe building for church and school. 1300 acres of grain were planted, grist and saw mills erected and roads made into nearby canyons. Local government was established and the population doubled. Before the call back to Utah by President Brigham Young in 1857, pioneers from Yerba Buena , England and the pacific had joined the settlement.