First University West of the Mississippi
The parent school or the University of Deseret, established November 11, 1850 in the home of John Pack, was located on this corner. Forty students enrolled the first year. Produce, lumber, etc., were taken as tuition and sold by Mr. Pack. Cyrus W. Collins was the first teacher. In 1851, the school was moved to the Council House, then to 13th Ward Hall, in 1867 back to the Council House, 1876 to Union Square, 2nd West and 1st North Streets. In 1892 the name was changed to University of Utah and in Sept, 1900 moved to the present site.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup