Tags

, , , ,

Beautiful Provo Valley, named from River and once Chief Walker’s hunting ground. Was colonized 1859-60 by 18 families called by Brigham Young. 1864 Indian troubles forced Pioneers to build fort at Heber. Bishop Jos. S. Murdock, friendly with the Indians, invited Chief Tabby and tribe to his home (3 blocks North, 1 South), August 20, 1867, when Peace Treaty was signed, and barbecue held on John Carroll’s lot. This ended Indian depredations in this valley, proving Brigham Young’s statement – “It’s better to feed the Indians than fight them.”

ImageImage

Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup