Plaque A: (East) NORTH WILLOW CREEK FORT
Settled March 31st, 1851, by five families followed by six families in the fall. It was first called North Willow Creek and changed to Willard in 1857. The fort was built in 1853 to 1855, constructed of dirt and rock. The first Grist Mill was begun in 1852. Rock Ditch for water supply was begun in 1864. Saw mill built in 1870. Eliza Mallery was the first white girl born in July and George Jason Wells the first white boy born in Box Elder County in August, 1851.
Plaque B: (Engraved in rock, North) 1851 WILLARD 1939
This native Granite is dedicated as a symbolic tribute to the Mormon Pioneer and early settlers of North Willow Creek – now Willard. They were faithful, honest and brave. We are grateful for thier (sic) leadership. We honor them and their children who have contributed to the Religious, Cultural, Educational and Civic progress of the commonwealth. We shall carry on. Erected by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers of North Willow Creek Camp, citizens and former residents. Located 226 feet east of old Fort Wall.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup