This monument is near the site of the old fort, 300 ft. So. west of here. It was on old emigrant trail. Route also used by Overland Stage and part of Johnston’s Army going east in 1861, to participate in the civil war. The fort was built during the black hawk war in 1866, on advice of Pres. Brigham Young to Bishop Winters. 25 families moved their log cabins there. Centrally located it provided protection for families, livestock and grist mill. The mill was the first in this county. Built in 1862 by Samuel P. Hoyt.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup