In 1851 David Fairbanks and David Crockett located land adjacent to a small stream at the head of Salem Lake and built a dam. In 1856 Eli Ashcraft, Royal Durfey, Silas Hillman, Acquilla Hopper, Jacob Killian, Truman Tryon and their families settled Pond Town and began the fort for protection against Indians. The fort was 160 feet north and south and 150 feet east and west. Robert David and Thomas Killian arrived later in the same year. The name of Pond Town was changed to Salem (the City of Peace) by Lyman Curtis.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup