The Benjamin Cemetery isn’t big but it has some pioneer graves and a great view from up on a hill.
Abbie Court Park 1438 South 2050 East
Canyon View Park 3300 East Powerhouse Road
Canyon View RV Park 3300 East Powerhouse Road
Centennial Park 572 South 600 East
City Park (49 South Main Street)
Disc Golf Course 1251 South 3450 East
East Park 498 South 820 East
Icelandic Monument 800 East Canyon Road
Memorial Square 200 North Main Street
North Park 1185 North 400 East
Parkside Estates Park 1221 East 1480 South
Russell Swenson Baseball Complex 171 West 300 South
Sierra Park 94 North 1800 East
Skate Park 491 South 600 East
Spanish Oaks Campground 2939 South Spanish Oaks Drive
Spanish Oaks Reservoir 2931 South Spanish Oaks Drive
Sports Park (295 West Volunteer Drive)
Water Park 199 North 300 West
This time capsule was buried on January 19, 2005 by the city of Spanish Fork, UT in celebration of its sesquicentennial. The marker specifies that it should be opened at the city’s bicentennial in 2055.
Two Franciscan Friars named Silvestre Valez de Escalante and Francisco Atanasio de Dominguez were some of the first explorers to pass through the Spanish Fork area. The priests were in quest of a direct route from Santa Fe, NM to Monterey, CA. After traveling down Spanish Fork Canyon they camped somewhere near the present city limits on September 23, 1776. This is a monument errected in their honor.
This marker and statue were placed by the City of Spanish Fork and Utah County to commemorate the bicentennial of Dominguez and Escalante Expedition from Santa Fe, New Mexico to Monterey, California. On September 23, 1776, Spanish Padres Francisco Antanasio Dominguez and Sylvestre Valez Escalante became the first white men to come to this valley.
This expedition, and these explorers, is how the City of Spanish Fork got its name.
Spanish Fork had its beginning in two sites, the upper settlement in 1850-1851, located in the southeast river bottoms, the other at Palmyra, 1851. Fearful of Indian trouble settlers built an adobe fort between the two places in 1854, located two blocks south of this site, with walls two feet thick and twenty feet high. Homes were built inside the fort with portholes in each compartment. A well in the center provided water. The only entrance was a gate four feet thick and sixteen feet high.
A Spanish priest, the first white man
to look upon this valley, camped with
his comrades beside the Spanish Fork,
September 23, 1776.
Placed to perpetuate the memory of that event
Spirit of Liberty Chapter
Daughters of the American Revolution
The City of Spanish Fork
“Though the Pathfinders die, the paths remain open.”
Lincoln Beach is a Utah County Park at, well, Lincoln Beach. It’s along the Southern side of Utah Lake near Palmyra and West Mountain.
Lincoln Beach is located on the shore of Utah Lake and offered several activities for Utah County residents around the turn of the 20th Century. Although it lost much of that attraction over the ensuing years, Utah County has recently taken several steps and spent thousands of dollars in developing Lincoln Beach as a prime site for camping, fishing, and boating. County workers dredged the boat channel and constructed a concrete boat launch and added a floating boat dock facilitating access to Utah Lake. A fish cleaning station is now open to clean that catch and prepare it for the barbecue! Several camp sites have been improved with water and a nearby restroom. A large pavilion is now open for larger groups plus individual pavilions with picnic tables are open on a first come first served basis. (*)
Monks Hollow is a campground and trailhead in Diamond Fork Canyon.
This trail, which is also an ATV route, begins in a grassy meadow and then makes a steep climb through scattered maple and scrub oak, eventually leveling out into a gently climbing trail. This trail provides a panoramic view of Diamond Fork and the surrounding mountain ranges. At the end of the six mile trek, the Monks Hollow Trail ends and the Longs Hollow Trail begins.
Maple Mountain is above Mapleton and Spanish Fork, I grew up in Mapleton and hiked that mountain more times that I could count or remember. It’s a gorgeous hike but a longer one, there’s a nice pond we call Maple Lake when you’re most of the way up and it’s a great place to stop for a while before finishing.
The trail starts at the top of Whiting Campground, a quarter-mile after that you cross the creek to take trail 007 and can’t miss it from there.
I’ve had the hike take 12 hours up and back many times including time to play in the lake and catch salamanders but when hurrying and when in Shape I’ve gone up in 2 hours and come back down about that quick.
There’s plenty of wildlife and scenery and amazing views of the valley from the saddle (after the lake and before the top.)
The first Sugar Factory in Utah was built in Lehi, UT, and it was also the first beet sugar factory in the Mountain West, the first to use beets grown by irrigation, the first to have a systematic program for producing its own beet seed, the first to use American-made machinery, the first to use the “osmose process” of reprocessing molasses, and the first to build auxiliary cutting stations. This factory also served as a training base for many of the technical leaders of the sugar beet industry of the United States.
Needless to say, the Lehi factory was a marvel of modern engineering, and one of the most important buildings in Utah Industry for many years. Most of the history linked to the Spanish Fork Factory finds its way back to Lehi. At one point one could say that quite literally, as until the building of the Pleasant Grove pipeline, the beet pipeline between the Spanish Fork and Lehi factories was the largest beet pipeline in the world, although eventually it corroded due to high alkali soils found in the valley.
After the initial success of the Lehi factory, many other factories were built around the state. Spanish Fork in particular became the bloodline for the Lehi factory, as the world’s largest and longest pipeline used to transport beets ran between the two. Built sometime in the early 1900s, the factories were owned by the Utah-Idaho sugar company (originally a commercial venture of the LDS / Mormon Church). The current Spanish Fork factory that you can see today was was built in 1916. Much of the plant equipment was transferred from Nampa Idaho to the Spanish Fork area.
The plant was designated as a beet slicing factory and then the beets were shipped to Lehi via pipe. The factory was able to grind 450 to 500 tons of beets per day, 50 tons more than the Lehi factory. The pipe from Spanish Fork to Lehi was, at the time, the longest pipe used for transferring beet pulp in the nation. Trains were an important park of the beet industry, and several railroad lines were extended into Spanish Fork (and possibly down to Payson) expressly for the shipping of sugar beets. There were several factories around the valley, including factories in Payson, Springville, and Provo, although the one in Spanish fork was one of the largest in the state.
Eventually, the industry changed course. Anti-trust laws broke the back of the company, and many of the factories closed down as a result in the 1920s. Finally, in 1952 the Spanish Fork factory was closed as well, as the industry for sugar swung to sugar cane as the main source of sugar, because it could be grown year-round and the labor to produce it was much cheaper.
Today, the factory is owned and used by the Wasatch Pallet Company, though most of it is condemned and not considered safe. The owners do not mind letting people get closer just as long as you speak with them and get their permission (you should find them at their office on the south end of the property) and they should oblige. Though a shell of its former self, it is still nevertheless a prominent feature on the landscape, and certainly an important part of the local history.