Near this spot once stood a wall built of stone from Red Butte Canyon. Decision to thus enclose University of Deseret, now University of Utah, campus was made March 13, 1850, same day present site recommended by Brigham Young and committee was approved by the university regents. By 1853, one hundred thirty-five rods were completed, enough stone hauled and stone left cut in canyon to complete two and one-half more miles. Portions of wall withstood the elements almost 100 years.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup