The Pony Express Epoch began simultaneously April 3, 1860 with riders starting at St. Joseph, Missouri, and San Francisco, California. It was a 1,966 mile journey and reduced the time of transmitting news across the country from approximately 21 to 10 days. Nearly one hundred stations were established. This spot marks the first station south of Salt Lake City. It was a small adobe building known as Travelers’ Rest. Here riders exchanged horses and received needed repairs, food, or lodging. With the inception of telegraph the Pony Express was abolished in October, 1861.
Our D.U.P. Pony Express Monument originally stood at 6460 South State Street where it was demolished in a car accident. Plans for the building of an interstate highway at that location made it necessary to erect a new monument here.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup