In 1908 the townsite of Elmo was laid out. Each summer a bowery was erected east of this site where social events were held. In 1911 a group of men purchased the Cleveland schoolhouse, dragged it with teams and logs to the bowery lot. It was rebuilt and used for school, church and other gatherings. George H. Oviatt was named first L.D.S. Bishop June 10, 1913. In 1926 the original owners presented the building to the church. It was razed in 1957.