Mound Fort as a settlement began in 1848 when the first pioneers arrived in this locality. Others followed and erected a fort on an Indian burial mound. Its steep west slope, cut to a perpendicular face 10 feet high topped with a 3-foot breastwork, served as a lookout. Mud walls were begun on the other side. Cabins were built. A spring furnished water. Meetings and school were held in private homes. As more settlers came, Indian threats subsided and the fort fell into disuse.
This historic marker is located at the Mound Fort Ward Chapel in Ogden, Utah.