On Saturday, July 17, 1847, Brigham Young and the main group of pioneers left their camp a mile up Echo Canyon and due to Brigham’s illness, traveled only 2-½ miles. Their camp of July 17-18, was .4 miles west of this marker on the east bank of the Weber River. Sabbath meetings were held in the Temple Camp on the 19th. Brigham Young was washed and anointed for a blessing of health, then he fell into a deep sleep and awakened feeling much better. Their prayers were answered.
At about 2 p.m. on Saturday, July 17, four members of the Quorum of the Twelve and six other brethren, ascended the high and steep “Supplication Hills” to the northeast of this marker. After walking about 2 miles from the Temple Camp to the top of the mountain, they dressed for temple prayer and pled to the Lord in behalf of President Young and others who were sick in camp, the saints who were following, and for their own wives and children who were left behind at Winter Quarters.
Before rejoining the camp, they rolled large rocks down from the top of the mountain to amuse themselves. As they returned, they passed by a lone conglomerate column (Sentinel Rock) about 125 feet high, which is visible to the northeast of this marker. They also told of seeing other chimney-like rock towers situated in nearby hollows.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow.com/dup