A marker west of highway 189 between Daniel and Big Piney, near the Big Piney Cut-off reads:
“Thousands of people, cattle and horses passed this way to the Northwest when the Sublette Cut-off of the Oregon Trail was opened in 1857. None settled in this county. At the close of the Indian Wars in 1877, cattle herds from Oregon came this way to meet the railroad and to stock Wyoming ranges. The first Sublette County herds were started with other western cattle. In 1878-79, Ed Swan’s, Otto Leifer’s (Circle), D. B. Budd’s, Hugh McKay’s (67) and A. W. Smith’s (Muleshoe) outfits settled on nearby Piney Creek. Their cattle were not longhorns. The county’s first barbed wire was unrolled in 1881 on the Circle outfit.”
The marker was erected in June 1960 at the expense of the Sublette County Historical Society. The text was written by Jim Harrower.