, , ,


The Rendezvous had a broad meaning with the early trappers; not only was it a place to which they carried their furs and exchanged them for all sorts of commodities, such as clothing, saddles, bridles, tabacco, whiskey, bright dyes for coloring the trappings of their horses – but it was a place to meet traders who might wish to engage their services for the coming year. It was indeed a place noted for business, pleasure, mirth, gambling and brawls, and the motley collection was not without interest even to the early missionaries. Along about 1835, religious teachers became a regular feature at the Rendezvous. Rev. Samuel Parker made a number of religious talks to white men and Indians at the Green River in 1835. Father De Smet made a number of his winning and pleasant talks in 1840 at this same place. The Green River Rendezvous are commemorated the second Sunday in July each year at the Museum of The Mountain Man in Pinedale. A large interpretive historical site marker was erected by the Sublette County Historical Society in July 1955 on the Rendezvous grounds near Daniel. It was designed by Jim Harrower and Myra Cooley prepared the lettering. Mrs. Jean Roth cut the stencils and arranged the lettering. The legend on the sign reads: “A market place of the fur trade, from the Mississippi to the Pacific, from Canada to Mexico, where trappers, traders and Indians came to barter for the first great resource of the West. Six Rendezvous were held here, gathering not only furs but information of geographical importance to weld the final link in exploration of the new world. It is a tribute to the brave men, both red and white, who blazed the trails for culture and progress, and to the lowly beaver who gave it impetus”