445 feet west at this monument is the site of the pioneer flour mill erected in the spring of 1848 by John Neff, 1847 Pioneer. The burrs were bought by him at Winter Quarters from Brigham Young at whose request they were brought to Utah. The granite block in the monument is part of one of the mill stones. The mill began operations in March, 1848, and was the first in the valley to produce refined flour. The builder, noted for his humanitarianism, refused $1.00 a pound for flour from emigrants to California, selling it to the needy poor at 6 cents a pound and frequently giving it to those unable to buy.
See other historic markers in the series on this page for UPTLA/SUP Markers.