Tags

, , , , , ,

The Fraternal Organizations of Spring Glen and Helper established this  central cemetery in early 1930.  Low or no-cost burial places became necessary when members of the lodges, as well as others, died here while their families remained in the Old Country.  Most lost their lives in coal mine accidents or due to occupational disease and could not afford to be sent overseas to be buried with their families.  Also, many were bachelors with no one to see to their burials at all.  Members of the Fraternal Lodges saw to the needs of these lodge members and many others by making this exceptional overlook into a beautiful resting place in their honor.  This land was acquired for this sole purpose from the Ku Klux Klan.  Carbon County Clan No. 4, and was named the Austrian Lodge Cemetery, by which it is still known today.

20140810_102756 20140810_102801 20140810_102803 20140810_102854 20140810_102925

Advertisements