Charleston is at the northeast section of Deer Creek Reservoir, at the junction of U-113 and US-89. The town was settled in 1852. There are two versions of the name source. The first and more accepted is that it was named for Charles Shelton who surveyed the town. The other suggests that James Herbert stopped there on his mail route and told the men at the herders’ cabin that if they would put up a mailbox, he would deliver mail to them. A Mr. Winterton, one of the herders, remembered hearing of Charleston, South Carolina, so he made a mailbox, put it in a crotch of a tree and used that name.