The cemetery in Charleston, Utah.
Charleston is at the northeast section of Deer Creek Reservoir, at the junction of U-113 and US-89. The town was settled in 1852. There are two versions of the name source. The first and more accepted is that it was named for Charles Shelton who surveyed the town. The other suggests that James Herbert stopped there on his mail route and told the men at the herders’ cabin that if they would put up a mailbox, he would deliver mail to them. A Mr. Winterton, one of the herders, remembered hearing of Charleston, South Carolina, so he made a mailbox, put it in a crotch of a tree and used that name.
In 1859 George Noakes and William Manning and families came to Provo Valley and settled near the Noakes Spring, where they built the first homes (2 blocks North and 2 blocks West). Other settlers soon followed and a church and school were erected. George Noakes became a leader among the settlers and won the friendship of the Indians. Many of the old landmarks are now covered by the Deer Creek Reservoir. The Kettle on the top of this marker was brought across the plains in 1847.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup