In 1859 George Noakes and William Manning and families came to Provo Valley and settled near the Noakes Spring, where they built the first homes (2 blocks North and 2 blocks West). Other settlers soon followed and a church and school were erected. George Noakes became a leader among the settlers and won the friendship of the Indians. Many of the old landmarks are now covered by the Deer Creek Reservoir. The Kettle on the top of this marker was brought across the plains in 1847.