Bothwell was founded as a farming community in 1894. It was originally named Rowville, after Mormon pioneer William H. Rowe. It was renamed Bothwell in 1918, to honor the builders of the Bothwell Canal, a project that aided farming in the area by bringing irrigation water from the Bear River. John R. Bothwell was president of the waterworks at that time.
Bothwell voted to incorporate as a town in 1937, in order to issue municipal bonds to develop the culinary water system. It was disincorporated sometime in the 1960s.
Click here to see other places in Utah.