Archibald & Violet Gardner House
The Archibald and Violet Gardner House, built in 1893 and remodeled in 1937, is significant for its association with an important period of development in Sandy’s history. The original home appears to have been constructed by Albert and Annie Swope and was subject to a sherrifs sale in 1898, after which it most likely served as a rental unit until it was purchased by Archibald and Violet Gardner in 1906.
In 1937 the Gardners extensively remodeled and added to the house in the style of a Mission/Spanish Colonial Period Revival cottage. Archibald was employed for a long time in Sandy’s mining industries and later was a cashier and the Sandy City Bank during 1907-37. He held a variety of offices in Sandy city government, serving as mayor from 1932 to his death in 1940. Violet taught dancing in the house for many years.