Gardner’s Saw Mill was erected by Robert Gardner and his sons Archibald, Robert and William, on warm springs stream, in Salt Lake City, Oct. 1847 where three boards were sawed. The mill was moved to this site in 1848 producing the first commercial lumber in Utah on the first formal grant of water for industrial use. Later, a flour mill was erected a few rods upstream, these plants giving the name, Millcreek, to the stream and canyon. Gardner’s Fort, domicile of the Gardner families, was located a short distance northeast, the Gardners receiving the first permit to leave the pioneer fort.
See other historic markers in the series on this page for UPTLA/SUP Markers.