The historic Garden Park Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is situated where the Red Butte Creek flows into the Salt Lake Valley. Brigham Young in 1857 conveyed his deeded property to his younger brother, Lorenzo Dow Young. In 1880 it was acquired by Lorenzo’s daughter, Josephine Young Carter, who transferred 21 acres, including this site, to Le Grand Young. Le Grand was Brigham Young’s nephew and general legal counsel to the LDS Church. Le Grand and Lorenzo planted trees, many of which remain on this site. In 1918 it was sold to John C. Howard who enlarged the home and added the walls and smaller buildings. The estate was bought in 1928 for the Garden Park Ward Chapel, which was dedicated April 2, 1939 by President Heber J. Grant.
“The chapel stands on a foundation constructed for the Howard mansion. The oak grove, the giant trees, the stream and pond, walks, walls, and gardens provide a place of worship with historical ties to pioneer days.
“President Gordon B. Hinckley 15th president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints rededicated the Garden Park Ward building and grounds on January 20, 2008. This was President Hinckley’s last public appearance prior to his passing on January 27, 2008.