Charles Stillman Bridge
Erected 1938 – Henry Blood, Governor
One half mile east of this location, a bridge was erected across the Parley’s Canyon gully so easier access to the canyon could be made from Wasatch Boulevard serving the southeast population of the valley.
The Wasatch Boulevard was built under the direction of Charlie Stillman during his administration as Salt Lake County Commissioner of Roads and Bridges from 1918 to 1922.
The Stillman Bridge spanned the Parley’s Gully tying the Wasatch Boulevard to the Parley’s Canyon Road. This bridge was named after Charlie Stillman and was erected in 1938. The Stillman Bridge stood in operation until the new four lane highway was built through Parley’s Canyon.
The bridge was removed September 24, 1964 to make way for the new modern overpass that could handle the increased traffic entering and exiting Parley’s Canyon.
Note: The Bronze plaque from the original bridge is also on the balcony at the SUP Headquarters Building. It was retrieved after the bridge was torn down in 1964. It reads as follows:
Charlie Stillman Bridge
Henry H. Blood, Governor
Utah State Road Commission
U.S. Bureau of Public Roads
This Foothill Boulevard was built under the direction of Charlie Stillman during his administration as Salt Lake County Commissioner of Roads and Bridges 1918 to 1922