The Mormon Wall
On August 3, 1855, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, concluded arrangements for the purchase of Fort Bridger from Louis Vasquez, partner of James Bridger, for $8,000. Final payment was made October 18, 1858. A cobblestone wall was erected in the fall of 1855, replacing Bridger’s Stockade. A few additional log houses were built within the fort. The place was evacuated and burned on the approach of Johnston’s Army September 27, 1857. A portion of the wall is here preserved. In 1855, Fort Supply was established by Brigham Young six miles south where crops were raised for the emigrants.
This is UPTLA Marker #25, located at Fort Bridger, for the rest of the series visit this page.