The Oak Saloon
This building was constructed in 1922 as an addition to the Oak Saloon, a frame structure which was located on the lot to the south.
The Oak Saloon was established in 1902 by Spriggs and Prior, with Henry Spriggs as manager. It was one of the most popular, prominent and community-conscious establishments in Park City. In 1903 the Oak Saloon financed the building of a bandstand next to Blyth Fargo’s “Big Store.” In 1909 Spriggs founded the Commercial Club, whose members were in the town’s leading businessmen and whose activities benefited the entire community. The Club’s meetings were held in the rooms over the Oak Saloon.
The frame structure which originally housed the Oak Saloon was destroyed by fire in 1974. This addition to the saloon, because of its masonry construction, withstood the fire. It has accommodated such diverse businesses as the Golden Nugget Pinball Arcade and the Mountain Flora flower shop. From 1976 to 1984 it was the offices of The Newspaper, a weekly publication which merged with the Park Record in 1983. The Park Record is the oldest continuously published newspaper in Utah.