The Claimjumper Hotel
The Park City Hotel was built on this site after the Great Fire of 1898. It was managed by a well-liked and respected Park City resident, Mrs. Marie Hethke O’Keefe, who also owned the furnishings. After it was destroyed in another fore in 1912, a great community fund-raising effort produced $22,000 to pay for the construction of a fine brick building to be called the New Park Hotel. On November 3, 1913, Mrs. O’Keefe opened the new hotel and it quickly became a favorite stopping place for travelers. It was described as a “beautiful and commodious hostelry with a dinning room decorated in patriotic red, white, and blue.” All meals, including Sunday dinner, were 50 cents each. Guest lists, which were published in the Park Record, indicated that business was flourishing. Mrs. O’Keefe operated the New Park Hotel until 1952 when depressed economics times forced its closure. She died in 1958. After extensive remodeling and modernization in the mid-1960s, the building reopened as The Claimjumper, a hotel, restaurant, and private club. The hotel rooms were converted into offices after a fire in 1992.