Star Meat & Grocery
built for $1000 shortly after the 1898 fire, this is a false front, one story commercial structure very typical of mining town architecture of its day. The southern section was built first; the northern section was added twenty years later. One of the Main Street’s first electric signs was installed here in 1903.
Original proprietor George Smith moved here from Heber City to open a butcher shop in this building. Until that time Park City’s groceries, meat and produce were supplied by Heber merchants. Smith, who later became mayor, formed a partnership with Alonzo Brim, and this the Smith & Brim meat market was established. When Smith died, his employee George Hoover bought the business, painted a star over the Smith & Brim sign, and renamed the market “Star Meat & Grocery”.
Subsequent owners Waldo Thompson and Wendell Paulsen continued the business until the 1950’s, when the doors were closed and the building vacated. In 1963 Ed and Roslyn Grose purchased the building and for nearly two decades displayed and sold antiques and Park City memorabilia. In 1982 new owners founded the fine art and folk craft gallery occupying the building at present.
Located on historic Park City Main Street in Park City, Utah.