City Hall Buildings, Historic Buildings, Limestone Buildings, Manti, museums, NRHP, Sanpete County
Located at 191 North Main St in Manti, Utah this is one of the oldest remaining city hall buildings in the state of Utah.
Designed by A.E. Merriam this building was constructed between 1873-1882. It is an excellent example of the Italianate style rarely found outside Salt Lake City. Fine Italianate details such as box-like massing, low-pitched hipped roof, columned portico and decorative bracketed eaves make it the only surviving example of the style in public structure in Sanpete County.
The plan has four equal size rooms on each floor, with a central passageway staircase. Under the stucco lies finely tooled limestone. It is hoped that the exterior will one day be restored to its historic appearance. The construction costs total about $1,100.
The building is now used as a Manti Museum, Social Hall, and office of Sanpete County Economic Development & Travel and Tourism and houses a visitor’s information center.