The Old Spanish Trail
About 1750 the Old Spanish Trail was formed as a means to reach Ute Indian country where New Mexican corn, tobacco, blankets, iron tools for pelts, deer skins, and slaves were traded. Immigrants and Mountain Men pushed the trail into California in 1830. A yearly trading expedition between New Mexico and California began. California miles and horses were traded for New Mexico wool and cotton woven goods. Up to 200 men with pack animals engaged in this trade which became important to the economy of New Mexico, providing miles to trade to the United States and deer hides to trade to Chihuahua, Mexico. Wagons eventually replaced the pack animals. The route avoided deep canyons and unfriendly natives to the south. Today, highways follow much of the route.
The spring located here was a major water source for the mail or south branch of the trail. The north branch through western Colorado joined the south just east of Green River.
The Old City Park
In 1934 Moab’s city fathers took advantage of federal programs and passed a bond issue to buy Westwood Spring and the land around it for $1,000. The spring became the principal water source for the town, and the land was quickly made into a park with the aid of the local Lions Club and others.