Fisher Towers are a series of towers made of Cutler sandstone capped with Moenkopi sandstone and caked with a stucco of red mud located near Moab, Utah. The Towers are named for a miner who lived near them in the 1880s. The Tower is world-renowned as a subject for photography and for its classic rock climbing routes.
Fishers Towers Trail is part of the National Trails System, which is a network of scenic, historic, and recreation trails created by the National Trails System Act of 1968. These trails provide for outdoor recreation needs; promote the enjoyment, appreciation, and preservation of outdoor areas and historic resources; and encourage public access and citizen involvement.
Westwater is a ghost town site near the west end of Ruby Canyon on the Colorado River. The Colorado border is eight miles east. After mining and railroad construction in the region declined, the town was abandoned and the area was used for grazing. The name indicates where the railroad exits into the valley at the west end of Ruby Canyon.(*)
Dewey is a ghost town. Originally named Kingsferry, it began in the 1880s when Samuel King built and operated a ferry across the Grand River (now considered part of the Colorado River). A small community soon developed around the ferry. The town served as a ferry crossing until the Dewey Bridge was constructed in 1916.
Elgin is on the east side of the Green River across from Green River. In 1905, Elgin was established as a siding on the Denver Rio Grande Western Railroad, and a post office was granted on March 5, 1898. The town quickly became a fruit-growing center, but over the years unexpected freezing periods and the cost of pumping water from the river caused the community to decline. Today the town has been revitalized by the addition of motels and tourist activities. Elgin has now been absorbed into Green River.(*)
Here are some photos I recently took at the Elgin Cemetery.
Richardson is a nearly forgotten town named after its founder, Professor Richardson, who in 1879 settled at the mouth of Professor Creek (also named after him). He built a cabin which later became a store when he built his home in nearby Professor Valley. Professor Creek was a strategic waterway used by early residents to float supplies from the railroad stop at Cisco down to Castle Valley. Richardson had an official post office from 1886 until 1905. Today, only a couple of ranches remain in the area.(*)
East from Moab, on Wilson Mesa in the La Sal Mountains, was the little village called Mesa. The Town of Pinhook, also in the La Sal Mountains, was a tent village. On June 15, 1881 a bloody battle was fought between the village and a hostile band of Indians. Eight white men were buried at the site in 1 large grave. A historical marker has been erected on this spot.
Wilson Mesa, also known as simply Mesa, was located on the western slope of the La Sal Mountains. It actually consisted of two mesas, North Mesa and South Mesa, which were separated by a small canyon called Left Hand. These mesas, which still contain ranches, are accessible from the present-day La Sal Mountain Loop Road. Wilson Mesa was first settled by Joseph Burkholder and Herbert Day in 1891. Other early settlers included the Shafers, the Johnsons, the Diffendorfs, and the Fillmores. Wilson Mesa took its name from cattleman A.G. Wilson, who grazed about 500 cattle in Spanish Valley, the Sand Flats, and on the mesa itself. A post office existed in Mesa from 1907 to 1923. One notable accomplishment by Mesa settlers was the construction of an impressive tramway to lower 1,200 pounds of produce at a time from South Mesa to the Mill Creek area some 2,000 vertical feet below. The Murphy brothers built the tram around 1916. Supplies could also be hoisted up the tramway, provided that the down-going load was heavier.
IN MEMORY OF Those who were massacred by Indians June 15, 1881, buried here L.E. Wilson A.R. Wilson H. Tarter W. Tarter J. Heaton G. Taylor T. Glick J. Galloway Erected 1940 by Grand Co.(*)
History on the Pinhook Draw Fight: http://digitallibrary.utah.gov/awweb/awarchive?type=file&item=34837