DUP, Forts, Grand County, historic, Historic Markers, Moab, utah
Elk Mountain Mission
In April 1855, forty-one men under the leadership of Alfred N. Billings were called to establish a mission in the Elk Mountains. They left Salt Lake City May 7, 1855, arriving at Grand River June 11, and selected the site for a fort. By July 15, they had built a fort 64 feet square, with stone walls, 12 feet high, 4 feet at the base and 1 & 1/2 feet at the top. Three of the pioneers, James. W. Hunt, Edward Edwards and William Behunin were buried within the fort which was located about 800 feet from this monument.
This monument was relocated in April 2006. The monument was formerly located at 995 North Highway 191 (Main Street), which is 1.5 miles northwest of where the monument now stands. The location of the Old Fort was 3000 feet west, 1320 feet from the Northwest corner of Section 35 Township 25 South, Range 21 East, Salt Lake Base Meridian.
(Fort Location: N 38.59301 W 109.57712 )
Daughters of Utah Pioneers historic marker #65, located outside the Moab L.D.S. Church/D.U.P. Museum at 45 North 200 East in Moab, Utah.
Pingback: Early L.D.S. Church | JacobBarlow.com