In 1861, Joseph Bartholomew, James Mellor and others settled here and diverted the warm creek for irrigation purposes. A branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized in 1862 with Branch Young president. The name of the settlement was changed from Warm Creek to Fayette, honoring the town in New York where the church was first organized. In 1863, John E. Metcalf built the first grist mill on the stream flowing from the warm spring one mile east of this marker. He fashioned and used these mill stones. Fayette Ward was organized July -1877.
D.U.P. Marker # 409